Thursday, March 16, 2006

In a Gotta da Beeta, Baby



Mmm! Dinner was a most tastetastical Roasted Veggies atop Fusilli wid Garlic Butterbean Wine Sauce. That's a mouthful, no? It features the last organic ingredient from my delivery box: beets.

Beets are sweet and delicious and are high in folate and potassium. The tops contain lots of calcium and iron. The best thing about beets, though, is they make your pee pink and your poo red! (So don't forget you ate beets for dinner or you might get a real scare the next day.)

I cut up beets and carrots. Also a red onion. Coated lightly in oil and herbs, roasted for 1 hour at 400 degrees. See all the veggies so happy in their roasting pan?



The sauce for the pasta was 10 cloves of garlic, 1 1/2 cups vege soup stock, 1 cup white wine, black pepper and Aromat (flavored salt). I reduced it way down and added a can of butter beans, including about 1/4 of the juice. Reduced some more until thicker. Added a pat of butter right at the end. Served over whole wheat fusilli.

Gobble.

4 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of beets and I am always intrigued when people use them outside of the Thanksgiving season but the dish you made looks amazing.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg-that looks good-i love beets-it beets starving (my mom used to say that)I'm going to make this as soon as my husband goes out of town casue he hates beets.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger BETUL said...

Happy roasting vegetables :)I think i'm gonna eat them with yogurt..any news about ashura adventure?

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

hi Suburbia - well, beets get a bad rap. maybe if you try 'em a different way, you'll be surprised!

hi Ellen - it BEETS starving! good one.

betul - i often make "root bake" with all sorts of roots (including beets) and a hot curry paste. This I definitely eat with yogurt! yum. no, i've not tried ashura yet. i am so intimidated! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home