Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Bodacious FriTaTa of the Organic Variety



I know, I know... Fritattas are usually the bastard of the kitchen - what chefs tend to make when there are leftover odds and ends around and cash flow is low. But I assure you, this is no garbage-disposal variety 'TaTa, this is a Bodacious Organic one!

It features this fresh, delicious Red Chard from my box of organics...



Mmm! Chopity chop...



I started with a gigantic amount of carmelized onions on the bottom of the pan for a carmelly "crust". Then poured in a mixture of 6 'ganic, free-range eggies, a can of organic fire-roasted tomatoes, plenty of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and various herbs and spices.

Then I laid (a LOT of) steamed chard all over and pressed it down solid. (Because I happen to like dense, flat 'TaTas. You might prefer puffy 'TaTas, this is your perogative.) Broiled with some more parm on top for finishing.

I served it with 'ganic quinoa with Cuban-style black beans and a side of 'ganic grape tomatoes with tarragon. Some chipotle salsa was nice on the side as well.



Okay, I am very happy with my organic delivery box and will likely do it again. Also, I am getting tired of hearing myself write the word "organic" so from now on, just assume all or most fruits and veggies on this site are such. I don't plan to get weird about it.

Ta ta!

5 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

This sounds really great! And that soup just got added to my 'to make' file - it looks so creamy. I'm glad you decided to try the delivery - we've done it for three years and although this last year we had some problems with the farmer, we'll be doing it again this year, with a new farm! But it's been a big inspiration for our cooking and eating habits! I especially love that you took pics of the delivery guy!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger KA said...

Looks great EP, planning to give it a try. What are cuban style black beans? Are the beans simmered in special herbs?

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

oh Arjuna, you caught me. LOL!

the beans are "Cuban Style Black Beans" from Trader Joe's - they come in a can! Contains: black beans, green bell peppers, onions, red wine vinegar, corn starch, olive oil, sea salt, sugar, canola, onion powder, spice, garlic powder and lime juice.

I added about a teaspoon of cumin. Someday I'll make my own from scratch.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! Love the colours, Also your cauliflower soup, Miam ! Délicieux!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Lovely. A fritata with a carmelized onion "crust"- very original (at least to me!). Good on you. And in you :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home