Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Branch O' Brussels

Today I came across something I have never seen before (dollar bill for scale):



Brussels sprouts still attached to their stalk! In fact, before I saw this at the Farmer's Market, I sorta thought the little sprouts grew like mini-cabbages... something like this, but um,... like,... a LOT smaller.


This is a photo of a 75 lb world record-holding cabbage! (Woman's head for scale.)

I questioned a couple who was buying a stalk and they told me that the sprouts are much sweeter when purchased like this because the sugar from the stalk goes into the sprouts and that the small ones near the top of the stalk are the best. They said they remove the sprouts before cooking, but I thought it might be fun to baste the whole dang thing and roast it or BBQ it!



Gotta go. I need to research Brussels sprouts recipes. Suggestions accepted! Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

Why, thank you for that suggestion. I was also thinking of maybe taking them to a tanning salon with me to get them nice and crispy on the outside. Care to come for dinner?

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been slicing them very thin and sauteeing them in olive oil w/ s&p, a splash of lemon if you like...or tamari or whatever...the thin slice is what has changed the flavor..sometimes tiny onion dices preceed the brussels in the oil...sometimes a little bacon or ham but who needs it. Looks like you're a vegehoovian. Who needs ham? Great site...you are very chatty and prolific. Good for you for using your gifts. Blog on!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

I got a comment from Jen's Mom!! Wheeeee! Check out this cool blog
http://www.lifebeginsat30.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home