Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thank the God of Candy

These look like regular "holiday" m&m's, don't they?



Well, praise the Lord of All Tooth Decay, they are NOT! They are the famous and notoriously rare MINT m&m's, and I found them this week at my local Ralph's grocery store.



I love these m&m's so much I called Mars a few years ago to ask where the heck they were since I hadn't been able to get my hands on a bag for a 3-year stretch. Here is the transcript:

Operator (chuckling): Ah yes, Mint m&m's. Loads of people always call around this time of year looking for them.
Me: I can certainly imagine. Well, then... SHOULD THEY NOT BE ON STORE SHELVES AROUND THE NATION?!
Operator (slightly scared): Well, uh, probably... I like them too.
Me: Sorry. I'm on a sugar-low. Is there anything I can do to get some in my area?
Operator: No.

(Pause here for another handful of chocolatey-minty goodness...) My communication with Mars today revealed:

1989 - Mint m&m's introduced during December holiday season only (in green, red, white holiday colors)
1990 - Mint m&m's added during Easter season (white)
1991 - Mint m&m's available year round (This is right around when I became a cult member.)
1994 - Mint m&m's phased out (DEAR GOD, NOOOOOOOOooooooooo!)
1995 onwards - Mint m&m's available only during Dec holiday season and only in random limited areas

Be sure to look for the Mark of Mint! You will not be sorry!

5 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear god are you right. I just cracked open one of my two bags that my mother mailed me sometime last year that I've been saving for the Christmas season... so... hard... to not finish all at once...!

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total addict..I buy 4 bags a year as soon as I first see them...I think my thighs are greatful this only happens once a year ;)

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of these people who cannot go months without my mint M&M's. For the last several years I have bought (or been given a few as a Christmas present) 12 bags in Dec. and let myself only have 1 bag a month. Stressful months tend to leave me short, and I don't share well. My daughter even has to have an extra special reason to get just a few.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU GUYS THINK YOU ARE HOOKED ON THE MINT M&MS? I HAD THEM ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND HAVEN'T SEEM THEM AGAIN UNTIL THIS PAST XMAS 2008. I SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND GOT 52 BAGS TO HOLD ME OVER FOR THE YEAR. I RATION MYSELF TO ONE BAG A WEEK! I NEARY TORE MY HUSBANDS EYES OUT WHEN I CAUGHT HIM RED HANDED WITH A BAG THAT I HAD HIDDEN! WATCH OUT. NO ONE TOUCHES MY MINT M&MS! NO ONE!

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE them too! I found them at Target today. I bought 12 bags. Go get them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home