Monday, August 22, 2005

Stacked in La Jolla

Went for a run on the beach down to the end where the cliffs start. I came upon a collection of inukshuk, you know, those community-stacked stones that seem to be a worldwide sign for "I-was-here-but-I'm-too-conscientious-to-throw-up-graffiti-or-destroy-nature-so-instead-I will-stack-rocks."

I balanced one on top of a shorter stack that looked like it needed help. (Because if you don't participate when you come upon these, you're a party-pooper. Also, it seems like not placing a stone might bring a curse upon your house or some other bad thing.) Actually, I don't even know if you really call them inukshuk unless they're constructed by real, live Indigenous North Americans, but it sounds better than saying I saw a bunch of stacks of rocks.



And lest you think rock-stacking is for hosers, check out The Rock Balancing Art of Bill Dan. Watch a video of him kicking some stony ass in the Presidio. All in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge.

And if you are turned on by that, you'll really get your rocks off if you rent this. It gives rockumentaries a good name.

Sorry.

Ok, so the other neat thing I saw today was this.



I was real thirsty from my run and desperately wanted to lick it, but I thought vibrations from my tongue might result in a spider attack, so I refrained. But it does look refreshing, doesn't it?

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger The Complimenting Commenter said...

Those are both very cool pictures. I love the rock thing. I must start doing that. Great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home